Monday, February 14, 2005

You are what you read?

I’ve been reading a lot lately. Some for class, but mostly for myself. Some of the books I’ve been getting into are my Henri Nouwen (I recommend him to anyone who wants their paradigms challenged and are open to change). Most notably are: “Reaching Out”, “In the Name of Jesus”, and I am beginning “Wounded Healer”. I’ve really re-discovered the joy of reading to, as “The Gov” would say, feed my soul.
This past weekend I went down to my parents place for some R&R and there was much discussion (as per usual). As I observed and listened the people around me (both family and non), I started to look at what was on their minds, what they were talking about, and compared it to what they were reading. I noticed that most (if not all) of the people that are in my parents circle are only reading books and authors who fuel their already established beliefs. Once an author speaks anything different, the book is rejected and tossed aside. Sunday morning, the pastor read and excerpt from an famous author and gave a sermonette based on the excerpt. The excerpt, on prayer, was not Scriptural. But it lined up perfectly with the pastor’s own personal view of God and the purpose of prayer.
This concerns me and breaks my heart. I started to look at the past 15 years. There has been much change in all their lives, but very little growth. They have learned much about the power of God, the “prosperity Gospel”, etc… but very little has changed in their hearts concerning the lost, the hurting, their own grudges and hate.
All this to say…be careful what you read. If you find yourself always reading the same author that you always agree with or never challenges you to move from where you are, or makes you think of how others are falling short but you’re ok. Then you need to read something else. Or maybe it’s the way you’re reading it. The same goes for the Word of God. If you find the Word as only something that should convict other and only affirms you, then maybe you should re-read it and permit it to, as Wally would say, “totally wreck your life.”
I guess what I’m saying is that if what you read is superficial, then you’re life will reflect that. Concerning the Word, if you read it only superficially, then you’re life will reflect that. Content and Attitude will either be a catalyst or a retardant
for growth in your life.
Roach out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so true, but so little people view reading that way--and so they end up not challenged and not growing.
check out nouwen's Return of the Prodigal Son, too--it really makes you think about the story in a lot of new ways.

8:31 AM  
Blogger nathan sean said...

mc claren talks about relational reading, especially in a biblical context. you reading the book AND letting the book read you. i'm just entering a place where i THINK i'm getting it.

let the rump shaker free! what??

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home