Thursday, February 10, 2005

The Tension Between Reverence and Freedom

A discussion held yesterday in one of my classes has got me thinking about reverence. What is reverence? What is the balance of reverence and freedom?
I am convinced that I need to be who I am, that freedom in Christ is to be who he created me to be, and in that he is glorified. But I also think that there needs to be a deep submission to Christ; that we can’t live vicariously and without care. This freedom doesn’t mean a license to sin. That’s where reverence comes in. I am also convinced that we need to fear and respect the Lord, and live as Ecc. 5 indicates; to “Be careful what you do when you go to the temple of God; draw near to listen rather than to offer a sacrifice5 like fools, for they do not realize that they are doing wrong. Do not be rash with your mouth or hasty in your heart to bring up a matter before God, for God is in heaven and you are on earth! Therefore, let your words be few.”
I guess I don’t know what this all means right now, but I think I’m being asked to look deeper inside. Maybe this freedom that I live in has been slipping to irreverence. Time spent with the master will reveal.
What is the balance?
Asking…
Roach out.

1 Comments:

Blogger nathan sean said...

i don't think it is freedom... then reverence, i think true freedom can only be birthed out of reverence.

just a thought....

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home