Thursday, February 10, 2005

At a loss for what to do…

The Mrs. and I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment complex. We like it here, cheap heat and close to campus. But we are at a loss as to what to do with the people upstairs. I don’t mind the noise. They is, a mother, a 4-5 year old boy, a 10 year old girl and another girl (unsure of her age). Every morning we wake up to hear screams of anger and much swearing. This past week, all day long we either can hear screaming and swearing or stuff being thrown. All day there is the sound of crying. It breaks our hearts. But I don’t know what to do. I thought maybe I was overreacting, kids were just being kids fighting amongst themselves., but the other morning I met the mom downstairs bringing her empties (beer bottles) down the stairs. There was a STACK of them. I thought nothing of if till the six year old was lugging them down too. It seems like she’s a single mom, but I’m not sure. I want to have compassion for her, but she’s always yelling and swearing at her kids. Part of me wants to intervene, but I don’t know he situation, or her frustrations. I guess all I can do is pray, but that frustrates me. I feel for these kids.
I just needed to get this off my chest.
Roach out.

5 Comments:

Blogger C-Man said...

I am with the Jew.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I don't have a right answer, but here's my take on it. I'd recommend talking to the Mom first. It'll be tough and probably ineffective because there's no relationship there, so she'll probably tell you to mind your own business. But she has made it your business by allowing it to spill into your apartment. Just make sure you're doing it out of a genuine concern for her and her kids. Then you'll probably have to tell her that if things continue, out of concern for her kids, you will be contacting the authorities.

This is the messy way, because you're being totally honest and upfront about it. But you're entering the mess that is their life, hopefully in a redemptive way, as opposed to making an anonymous phone call and hoping the government can and will do something about it.

Easier said than done.

12:18 AM  
Blogger Aaron Perry said...

i have no answers, either, but i found steve's thoughts most compelling. i suppose i would also add that there are legitimate reasons why the things that concern you happen...not that these may be likely, but they are possible and keeping that in mind may help you to be gracious.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Arkay said...

Yeah...gotta go with the Jew on this one. As soon as you approach her and talk about her family she gonna flex and show muscle...you are a big guy roach..quit being little and tell her if she don't watch the language and the abuse..you gonna drop the smack down. Ya' big lug.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

I think it might be a bit much to assume that a bit of shouting equals abuse but you should certainly monitor the situation. What did you decide to do? Was their mother receptive to your approach?

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home