Saturday, February 05, 2005

The gods in my life

One of the most wonderful things about the Word of God is that it is forever fresh. Regardless of how much time we may spend in a passage, section, chapter or book, there is always something that the Spirit can make us aware too. The words may not change, but the application can always be made on a deeper level. We’ve been reading Romans 1 this week for triad and part of the text I used this past Sunday in Encounter (College student service) was from Romans 1. As I have been reflecting on the part that speaks of fake gods, and how we have traded to True God for these fake gods, I am deeply convicted about the idolatry in my life. The dangerous things about these idols, are they don’t require or desire our worship (because their inanimate), but we still offer them our allegiance and reliance. Coffee for one. I love coffee, but it becomes my idol when I rely on it to keep me alert and awake. Why can’t I pray and ask God to help me with that one? Is it beyond his ability? My eloquence. When in a debate or conversation, I can rely on vocabulary and rhetoric to convince others of the Truth of the Word. Sure God may have gifted me, but I must submit to the Giver and not the Gift.
Maybe I’m not making sense, maybe this just applies to me. But I feel a deeper sense of surrender as of late. A deeper sense of opening myself up to full examination, to allow the Spirit access to every area of my heart/psyche/soul, so as to live in a deeper awareness of my need for God.
At this moment, I still can’t sing along to the song “I will give you all my worship” because I cringe at the fact that I quite possibly may be lying to God and myself. To sing such words would mean that I have been holistically examined and expunged of all idolatry. I am not convinced that this is a completed work in me. Maybe it is, but I can’t take that risk. But I can keep seeking him. Best advice I ever got: SEEK HIM!
(Thanks Falcon for living a life of authenticity and for showing me a life lived real. I am forever grateful.)
Roach out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Arkay said...

Yeah,
I can relate to that. Coffee is not my drug, yet I do feel dependant on it sometimes..and find myself feeling guilty because of it's aroma and "stay up" effectiveness when I am tired. I would wake up every morning and play drums or didje and that would get me going...my family wouldn't be fond of it...but it's effectiveness would be awesome. I heard that an apple will wake you up more than a couple cups of coffee. Maybe I'll switch to fruit.
Miss you dude!!

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home