Friday, January 07, 2005

sick as a....dog?

Where does that saying come from anyway? Has anyone ever seen a sick dog? I've seen on with the runs or blowing chunks, but that's usually followed with the dog going back to their mess, feeling better about it. I've never seen a really sick dog, but maybe it's just me. But you would think that if dog's were so sick, at least consistently and violently enough to garner a saying of their own, that I would have seen it. Maybe the saying comes from some deep tribal community and came back with the missionaries. Who knows. Maybe mamma does...but not I.
Anyway, Yesterday I was sick. Coming out both ends at the same time, if I'm not being to subtle. I realized how much a whinning baby I can be when I'm sick, or so Judy will tell you.
As a side note, Judy brought me some Ginger Ale to make me feel better. It's our family cure all. Growing up, regardless of what was wrong, my grandma would always give us Ginger Ale. Anything from upset stomach, to headache, to a cut, to even a viral infection. I'm sure if anyone of us were ever diagnosed with a terminal illness, we'd get a case of Ginger Ale, and forced to drink it every four hours. Maybe those of you in the blogsphere have your own family cure-alls. I'd be interested to hear about them.
Anyway, today I'm better. I'm not as healthy as a....gerbil? Maybe my mind isn't back to health.
Roach out.

3 Comments:

Blogger C-Man said...

Vernors. that was the family cure all. i hate Vernors today because of it.

Hope you feel better.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

you guys are sissy's. My grandmothers cure for the flu was mustard water. She thought that the faster you got everything out of your system the faster you would be cured. I tell you what just the thought of mustard water made you feel instantly better, you didn't want to go through the violent heaves that it caused!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

My Grandma's cure all... cod liver oil.

Vernor's is Michigan's ginger ale. And for those of you who care, it's supposed help settle the stomach. Ginger root is actually the ancient remedy, and since giner ale is a derivitive, it also supposedly works. I don't think it does. But I do remember sipping ginger ale and taking little bites of saltines when I couldn't keep anything down.

Here's to the peak of flu season at the end of this month.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home