Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Humility

I have heard many different takes on what humility is. I have heard it said to be “not thinking little of yourself, but thinking of yourself little.” I’ve heard it said that it is “always reminding yourself that there is someone out there better” and “always keep God above yourself” and “putting others ahead”, the whole God first, others second, yourself third thing. But none of these really sat well with me.
This morning as I opened The Book, (Cession’s gift to me: The Message Remix), I turned to Romans 12, this is what caught my attention:

3 …it's important that you not misinterpret yourselves as people who are bringing this goodness to God. No, God brings it all to you. The only accurate way to understand ourselves is by what God is and by what he does for us, not by what we are and what we do for him. 4In this way we are like the various parts of a human body. Each part gets its meaning from the body as a whole, not the other way around. 5The body we're talking about is Christ's body of chosen people. Each of us finds our meaning and function as a part of his body. But as a chopped-off finger or cut-off toe we wouldn't amount to much, would we? So since we find ourselves fashioned into all these excellently formed and marvelously functioning parts in Christ's body, 6let's just go ahead and be what we were made to be, without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves with each other, or trying to be something we aren't.

This is so good. I think it so perfectly illustrates what true humility is. Realizing that it’s all about God, and not about us. We don’t somehow define him or his body, but he and it define us. It’s a relief to know that all that is required of me is to be me. I was designed a certain way with a certain gift-mix for a certain purpose. I don’t have to be anything or anyone other than who and what I am: The Roach.
Me, Myself and I: out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

"The only accurate way to understand ourselves is by what God is and by what he does for us"
Hmmm. I really like that! Lifting our eyes off ourselves, and onto God. Therefore the more we know God the more we have an identity. Thanks for this post Roach.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home