Thursday, December 23, 2004

Oh Beautiful frailty

I’ve been spending the last couple of days at my brother’s place. He works night and sleeps days, so that gave a ton of time to sit, reflect and surf the web. I started to look at the weak areas of my life, and as I listed them off, I was struck back at how long that list is. I kept digging and digging and began to realized that left to my own vice, I was really unable to maintain anything. Despair hit hard as I realized that I was, in essence, as incapable, weak and defenseless as a new born. But in that same moment as I saw my weakness, I felt strong. It was so strange. I began to see what Paul meant when he said that in my weakness is God’s strength made complete.
Brennan Manning once wrote that the prostitutes and drunkards get into heaven before us “faithful” Christians because they bet everything they have on the grace of Christ. They realize that they have nothing to lose, while we hold on to everything so dearly and are deathly afraid to lose something that isn’t ours. We fear for our lives, we fear poverty, we fear ridicule, we fear living out of the limelight…we fear. But they, they get it. You see, we have nothing to lose. Everything we have is rubbish, trash in light of having Christ. It all ties together. My weakness is made complete when I realize that all that I have and am is really nothing in light of Christ then the weight that hinders and entangles me in this race is shed. It all ties together.
So I sit here now in praise that I am frail. That all that I am, all that I’ve worked for, my reputation, my gifts, my skills, my pride, my arrogance, my knowledge…all of that is nothing. And that’s ok. Because I know Christ.
I may have lost the world, but I have gained my soul.
Oh beautiful frailty; I am weak. And I’m loving every minute of it.
Roach out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Hiya Roach. Wanted to wish you and Judy a late congrats! It appears from your blog that you had a good internship. I'm glad. And lastly, I really appreciate this post. "Frailty, thy name is Roach." I like that. :) (teasing).

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home