Thursday, September 30, 2004

The Absorbability of Self

So I sat there and watch the people that surrounded me, and in a moment, I was disgusted. I could not get over how these “Christians” were so self-absorbed and ignorant of the reality of life that surrounded them. If it didn’t impact their life at this very moment, they didn’t seem to care. This was Sunday. But Tuesday I was over my disgusted feeling, but not because I had prayed and expunged it. So when Deur suggested that the team walk in amongst the neighborhood and pray, I was all for it, I felt like my heart was in a good place, so ahead I went. As I walked, I noticed how different the house were, how they each had their own personality and reflected how they could almost reflect the people that live inside of it. Some looked like homes, while others mere houses.
I came upon this one house that had been recently TP’ed. Toilet paper remnants spread all over their lawn and dangling from the tree. I immediately felt the Spirit say “what’s stopping you from cleaning up this mess?” Nothing I thought, but why don’t I. Why don’t I show up with a rake, or even ask if they have one so I can rake up the mess. What’s stopping me from knocking on their door as asking them “how can I serve you?” It’s not that I’m afraid of being rejected or mocked (Hello I’m French, it happens daily), and it’s not that I don’t have time or am injured. I really have no reason, so why don’t I. Then it all came flooding back. Sunday I was frustrated with the self absorbed people that we around me, but I was one of them. Wow what a kick to the tender spot. Here I was, not against serving or getting in the community, but every time an opportunity arose, I was always shying away from it, not for any reason, I didn’t even have an excuse, I just didn’t do it, because I didn’t want to.
The ultimate depth of self absorbability is when you can sit and say I don’t want to, without reason or excuse. Pure selfish neglect of action. If my heart is so tuned into the heart of Christ, then I will at every opportunity put myself aside for the sake of others. The self comes after all else is done. Jesus said “ I must be about my father’s business”, and if I am living my life so as to reflect the work of transformation into Christ in my life, than should that reflect the life of Christ and his fervor for being about the father’s business.
Absorbability of self… we all have an amount of absorbability left, where we rule, we control, and God has no say. I want it to be purge and be not.
Roach out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Arkay said...

Once again,
A truly awesome blog writing by ROACH! Always a good reading dude!! See ya soon!!

1:46 PM  
Blogger C-Man said...

I am humbled.
Thanks!

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home