Sunday, November 19, 2006

...learning to fly...learning to grow...learning to keep my mouth shut....

In my 3rd year at Bible school I sat down with a mentor and talked about explosive vs implosive personalities. My personality, of course, being explosive and his being implosive. He coached me through some things and reminded me that once you lose it (your cool) you've lost it. He also assured me that becoming implosive was no less healthy.
In a recent conversation with a dear friend (Go leafs go!), I was once again reminded of this long past conversation. This friend once again was the Lords tool in reminding me that the solution for a quick tongue and a passionate but wisdomless act, was not to just be quiet and not act and this bottling up the issue, but to move along with it, and allow Christ to redeem it, moving me closer to freedom from, well, me.

All of this led me back to a book I read in my 1st year at college. In this book, "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life", the author discussed the silence and solitude for the purpose of Godliness. Now I'm a huge proponent of silence and solitude. I make it part of my life, although I haven't permitted my cup to be filled so to spill into the other areas of my life.

In a section entitled "To Learn Control of the Tongue", the author explains:

When you practice silence and solitude, you find that you don't need to say many things you think you need to say. In silence we learn to rely more on God's control in situations where we would normally feel compelled to speak, or to speak too much. We find out that He is able to manage situations in which we once thought our input was indispensable.

So in my silence, I have learned once again, that my input is not necessary. In fact, in most situations is quite redundant. In light of God's sovereingty, there is really no need to speak unless said words are commissioned and guided by his Spirit.

I'm not going to extremes and taking a vow of silence. But I am beginning to understand the benefits of taking every thought captive.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aaron Perry said...

hey bro,

great reminder to me. i definitely appreciate it.

9:26 AM  
Blogger C-Man said...

WOW
i am going to remember that! that is good. i am going to pick up the book too.

i have always struggled with these words - be still and know that i am God.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home