Monday, March 21, 2005

Lion & the Lamb

So I’ve ended the first book in the A New Kind of Christian trilogy, and I need to say how much this book has made me think. McLaren has great insight and really shows what a Christian will look like when he/she lives with an open heart. Anyway, I’m no recommending this book to everyone who may read this…it’s not for everyone. But if you’re ready to ask yourself some tough questions and allow someone else to ask them to you…basically if you’re ready to have you paradigms stretched and tested, this is a good resource.
Having rediscovered my love for reading and feeding my soul, I immediately started reading my new book by Brennan Manning called The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus. I don’t normally read intro’s or prefaces, but I felt since I paid for the thing, I may as well get my money’s worth and read it all. So, in the foreword (I especially skip these on a normal basis), Larry Crabb talks about the impact that some of his encounters with Manning have been. He then makes this statement as his review of this book:

“Radical Christianity. The real thing. An upending encounter with Jesus that changes everything. Experiencing His love. Letting the Lion tear away every false hope. Riding the Lamb all the way home.”

I love this thought, that a true relationship with Christ is letting him tear away all your false hope (those founded in yourself), replaced them with himself (as our only hope), and then brings us home on a journey filled with gentleness and relentless tenderness. It’s such a beautiful image of Christ being both the Lion & the Lamb. (now, for you theological purist, I realize that the image of the lamb is used for the sacrificial lamb, but work with me here)
The Love of God, the depth, breath and width of this great Love both acts as a breaking and healing love. It is both ferocious and unsafe as a lion and gentle and tender as a lamb.
Hope this touches your heart as it is mine.
Roach out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home